Telarah Dog Training Inc. is a not-for-profit association which is purely run by volunteers, dedicated to responsible dog ownership and to the welfare of dogs. We provide training in companion obedience in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, with a focus towards food-orientated training and positive reinforcement. Rewards include food, toys, and play interaction with the dog’s handler.
IMPORTANT FOR ALL CURRENT AND NEW MEMBERS OF TELARAH DOG TRAINING
Enrollments are taken for Puppy classes and Adult Beginners bi-monthly. Our next intake will be Saturday August 6. Bookings are essential as class numbers are strictly limited.
Puppy and Adult Beginner courses run for 8 weeks. Both classes must be pre-booked and paid for in full within 7 days of booking.
Cost for the Puppy and Adult Beginner course is $60, which includes your one-off Joining Fee and Annual Subscription for one person. If more than one person will be training your dog in class (and we are happy for this to happen) then each of those people will need to join the Club at a cost of $15 each.
If you are interested, please phone 0491 115 212 to have enrollment information sent to you.
Level 1 Puppy (8 weeks): 11am
Level 1 Adult Beginners (8 weeks): 11am
Levels 2 and 3: 10am
Levels 4 and 5: 8.30am
Promotion to level 2 is automatic for both level 1 Puppy and Adult after the set number of weeks.
Promotion to all other levels is by assessment.
Other classes are offered when Instructors are available and sufficient members have expressed interest. Circus, Nosework, Childrens Class and Tricks are some examples.
• A soft collar and a 6ft lead; if your dog wears a head halter, you are welcome to use that in addition to the collar. Dogs may not wear a choker chain (check chain/slip collar) or prong collar while training with the club
• LOTS of soft food treats e.g. Devon, cheese, cabanossi, cooked chicken, Kanga Bangers. Your food needs to be cut into small pieces, about the size of a pea, or smaller if you have a small dog. Please do not bring kibble or dry treats – you dog may love them at home, but at club you will need something much more interesting to be preferable (in your dog’s view) to the other dogs!
• Something to hold your food treats while you are training e.g. a treat pouch or bum-bag works best. Plastic bags in your pocket make it difficult to work easily with your dog. The club sells treat pouches, which are very easy to work with, or you can dig out an old bum-bag from the 80’s!
• A toy that your dog really likes that will fit in your pocket or through your belt (no squeaky toys in class though, please) If it’s a ball, it needs to be a ball-on-a-rope,
• Water and a bowl for your pup and water for you
• A chair for each person who will be attending the class
• A mat for your dog
• Pig’s ear or non-squeaky chew toy or a stuffed Kong (the club has pigs’ ears for sale)
Joining Fee: $5.00
Annual Membership: $10.00
Class Fee: $5.00 per class for Senior Puppy, Junior, Intermediate, Advanced, and Jumping classes
$60 for 8-week Puppy Course
$40 for 4-week Adult Beginners Course
You can find a copy of the membership application form HERE
General Meetings are held on the first Saturday of each month between 9:15 and 10:00 at the club grounds. All members are welcome.
Notice will be posted on our website and on our Facebook page of any cancellations of grounds. If you would like to check the council-imposed grounds closures, the information can be found here.